Torontonian/Bostonian

A little space to reflect on life in my tale of two cities...and more

Thursday, December 25, 2008

And in the Vein of Ceremonial Persons in Ceremonial Roles...
...I present to you Stephen Harper's recent nominees for the Senate. After arguing in a prior post that one of the biggest problems I see with many of the appointed roles in government today is that "largely ceremonial" roles are garnering "largely ceremonial" nominees, Harper turns around and vindicates me completely. I'm sorry but Nancy Greene as a Senator? I too am glad she won all those medals for downhill skiing during the Winter Olympics in 1960-something, but THAT ALONE IS NOT A SENATORIAL QUALIFICATION! Neither is journalism.

All of this leads me to much annoyance. Not only are we putting highly under qualified persons into roles of leadership, but these fools have a say in how the country is run. What is Harper thinking?!

But then I thought of my survival argument also from last post as well, and, really, isn't this all too smart of Stephen Harper. I mean, hey, if a largely ceremonial governmental appointee like the Governor General can save your ass, isn't that something you want to repeat?

And then there is Harper's argument about making our Senate elected. Putting stupids into the posts, does rather bolster his argument now doesn't it?


Alright, I'll give it to you Stevie...brilliant...and so slimy and disgusting at the same time. And having the newly coronated Liberal leader Iggy over for tea and talks - I can only assume that comes from the "saving my ass" spectre as well.

All of it brilliant but slimy.

Trying for the Lee Atwater award?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home